The Teacher In Me (DIY Flanel Board Story)

Im all about child-guided play, but sometimes the teacher in me comes out.  LOL  I never force an activity onto my son, though.  I have tons and tons of DIY materials that I made when I taught children with autism.  This is a fun story we would read during the Halloween season.  We would typically do this during circle time.  It was a great way to learn colors, learn facial features, encourage communication, encourage participation, and encourage socialization.  I set up the invitation for my son and I think we read the book 12 times in one sitting!  Needless to say, he loved it - particularly adding the facial features and then taking them away.  I made this years ago when I was teaching, so I dont have step by step instructions, but its pretty easy.  I just traced from the book, cut out the pieces, laminated them, and then used velcro to put it all together.  Simple and fun!

ENJOY!
-AK (MESE, MECD)

GO AWAY BIG GREEN MONSTER

 The invitation



 starting the story with all the facial features mixed up and off the face


 adding the two big yellow eyes (as I read the story, he added the features)


 adding the nose


putting on the 2 squiggly ears
You have read this article Do It Yourself / Story Time with the title The Teacher In Me (DIY Flanel Board Story). You can bookmark this page URL http://happychild2210.blogspot.com/2011/10/the-teacher-in-me-diy-flanel-board-story.html. Thanks!

No comment for "The Teacher In Me (DIY Flanel Board Story)"

Post a Comment