Ice Block Sledding

Since Winter wont come to us (let me knock on wood so it wont snow in April), we decided to try and improvise.  I had a "light-bulb moment" yesterday and thought - 'I wonder if we could slide down the hill on a block of ice?'.  I had no idea if this would work.  IT DID!!

My son and I filled a storage bin with water and put it in the freezer.  I wanted something big enough for him to fit on comfortably, so we used the bin from his sensory table.  It took a good day and a half to fully freeze and I'm pretty sure his checking it every hour didn't help.  ;)  Once frozen, we took it across the street to a steep, grassy hill.  I put a towel on top of the block, my son hopped on, and I gave him a push.  "Weeeeeeeeeeeeee!!  This is so cool!!", he screamed as sliding down the hill!  It was a short-lived activity because he proclaimed, "Im freezing.  Let's go inside".  He loved it, though, and we will be doing it again very soon.  Hopefully next time it will involve long pants and a jacket. 

This would be a great hot summer day activity, too!

It was really hard getting any good pics. I will add more when we do this again with Daddy home.  Next time I plan to freeze a rope in the water for something to hold on to.

"Whoooooaaaaa!!"

There he goes, down the hill!  So fun!

- AK (MESE, MECD)


You have read this article Outdoor Play with the title Ice Block Sledding. You can bookmark this page URL http://happychild2210.blogspot.com/2012/02/ice-block-sledding.html. Thanks!

No comment for "Ice Block Sledding"

Post a Comment