Elephant Toothpaste

I got this idea form Steve Spangler's Science page.  You can see the link HERE

My girls absolutely loved this one.  

What you need:

A bottle with a narrow neck (A plastic water bottle will work)

1/2 cup of hydrogen peroxide that is at least 6% solution.  You have to get this from a beauty supply store.  We used 30 Volume.  I had no clue what this was... just ask, they will know.  

Squirt of Dawn dish detergent

Food Coloring

1 teaspoon yeast dissolved in approximately 2 tablespoons very warm water

Funnel

Something to contain the "toothpaste" (We used a storage bin).

Directions:

1.  Put 1/2 cup of peroxide into your bottle using a funnel
2.  Add food coloring.
3.  Add a squirt of dawn dish soap.
4.  Mix 1 teaspoon of yeast with 2 tablespoons of very warm water and let dissolve
5.  Pour yeast mixture into bottle and remove funnel 


Supplies


Adding food coloring to peroxide


Pouring in the bottle


Adding dish soap


Watching it "explode"


My oldest smells EVERYTHING


"Look!  It's making bubbles.  What is that, Mommy?"


Round 2 
Pouring yeast mixture into bottle


Smelling it again.  LOL  


The bottle feels warm to the touch afterwards


My 23M old woke up from nap and wanted in on the action.  I think my 11 week old even enjoyed this one!  


My 23M old backed up at first.  "Is it going to be loud, Mommy?"


They loved this!  


Cool!  


My 11 week old watching.  She has discovered her hands!!  


RL 

You have read this article Rainy Day Play / Science with the title Elephant Toothpaste. You can bookmark this page URL http://happychild2210.blogspot.com/2012/02/elephant-toothpaste.html. Thanks!

No comment for "Elephant Toothpaste"

Post a Comment