Baked Cotton Balls

My 29M old loves putting stickers and stamps all over her body.  Well, a couple months ago she put one of those green Starbucks stickers on her leg.  I could NOT get it off.  I swear those things are the stickiest stickers on the face of the planet.  So... I did a google search on how to take a sticker off of skin (LOL)... I love the internet!  It brought me to the ehow page on how to use a cotton ball and alcohol (this did not work just FYI... we ended up using olive oil).  While on the ehow webpage THIS was under my "You may also like".  Of course we had to try it.  :-)  

Materials:

2 cups flour
2 cups water
Food coloring/Liquid watercolors
Cotton Balls
Baking pan/sheet
Cooking Spray

Mix flour with water.  We found 2 cups of water and 2 cups of flour was a perfect amount to give you 6 colors.  You can use more or less.  This was enough for my 2 older girls.  Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.  Dip your cotton balls into the mixture and make your design.  Bake at 300 degrees for 45min to 1 hour.   If you place the cotton balls next to each other they will stick together while baking.  I told the girls to cover their cotton balls completely with the mixture.  I'm not so sure how dry cotton would do in an oven!    


The invitation.  


My oldest starting on her design.  We used a round cake pan for these.  


She liked cleaning her hands with the cotton balls.  


My 29M old was trying very hard not to get dirty.  LOL  


They used one color up at a time to the very last drop.  


"This feels so slimy"


"I'm making an apple pie.  What are you making?


There were a few cotton balls that my 29M didn't quite cover completely.  I did double dip them for her.  


My 29M old's "turtle".  


My 3.5 year old's "Apple pie".  


Post baking.


Post baking.  My oldest thinks these taste fantastic!  LOL  

They do get pretty hard, however, you can still break them open and pull out the cotton from inside.  Pretty cool.  The possibilities for these are endless.  You can do designs, patterns, letters, numbers, animals, etc.  You can also draw on them after they are cooked.  It's pretty much a cotton ball paper mache.  

RL  


You have read this article Clay and Crafts / Rainy Day Play with the title Baked Cotton Balls. You can bookmark this page URL http://happychild2210.blogspot.com/2012/07/baked-cotton-balls.html. Thanks!

No comment for "Baked Cotton Balls"

Post a Comment