Busy boxes

I know I have been promising a  "Siblings" post for forever.  This was originally going to be apart of it but I thought I would separate it for a quicker reference.  Here are 10 starter boxes.  I am sure I will add to this as I think of/remember more.  

I know nursing/feeding can be extremely time consuming. I don't think I realized this until I had a second child and I had a 17M old at my feet.  When you have one child you're thinking..."I love these special feeding times with my baby" when you have two children you're thinking... "Hurry up and finish the bottle already!"  :-D  All kidding aside, a newborn baby that needs constant attention can be very stressful on everybody.  It is a HUGE transition.  I hope that these ideas make that transition go a little smoother for you.  They are also great for when you have to prepare a meal or God forbid go to the bathroom for five minutes.  :-D  Another great idea is to give them as gifts.  

These are easy to pull out when in a crunch.  I typically feed my newborn in a chair or on the floor next to my older two when presenting something like this.  That way I can still be present to all of them.   

I purchased the bin I am using in all these pictures at Walmart.  The size is 6.2 QT and it costs $2.97.  It also comes with a lid for easy storage.  The brand is sterilite.  
  


Painted corn and animal bin.  
Painted corn is pictured here but you can throw anything in depending on how "messy" you want it to be.   Sand, epsom salts, aquarium rocks, dyed pasta, dyed rice, etc.  For more ideas check out our Sensory Bin album on Facebook... Click HERE for that.


Glue box.  
A bottle of regular glue and a couple bottles of glitter glue.  A few pieces of paper.  Various objects to glue.  Included here... colored pasta, buttons, googly eyes, sparkly pom poms, and acrylic shapes.  I bought the small containers at the Dollar Tree.  There were five in a pack and they also came with a lid.  


Play-Doh box.  
Colored matchsticks, clay hammer, cut-outs, straws, and a few tools.  You could also add little animals to this one as well.  


Cutting box.

Mardi gras beads, ribbon, string, straws, and scissors.  


Sticker box.
Stickers and paper


Rubbing plate box
Rubbing plates, paper, and crayons.


Bingo box
Paint dabbers and paper


Lacing box
Piper cleaners and pony beads


Sorting box.
Various objects in jar to sort into containers.


Stamping box
Ink pad, stamps, and paper


Watercolor bin
Watercolor paints, paint brush, little jar of water, and paper.  


I SPY bin

Colored rice, ice cube tray used to match hidden pieces, teaspoons for digging, and various objects.  



RL 
You have read this article Rainy Day Play / Siblings with the title Busy boxes. You can bookmark this page URL http://happychild2210.blogspot.com/2011/12/busy-boxes.html. Thanks!

No comment for "Busy boxes"

Post a Comment