Mostly Veggie Meatloaf

Addi & I love to cook together, and I like to cook healthy dishes I know (or hope) she will enjoy eating. Here is a recipe for a healthy, veggie-packed, 1-dish meal that's fun for little helpers & tasty for young & older taste buds alike!

Addi washed the veggies and helped stir the tomato sauce (sorry, no pics), then I grated the zucchini. Meanwhile, Addi prepared the eggs. Note: some kids are able to grate veggies, but my daughter has not shown much interest, especially once she sees there are eggs ready to break & stir!



Breaking 2 eggs
 
Ingredients

1 can (6oz) no-salt tomato paste
1/2 cup dry red wine (optional)
1/2 cup water
2 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp dried basil or 2 fresh basil leaves
1/2 tsp salt
16oz ground turkey
1 cup oatmeal (we used gluten-free)
2 eggs
2 cups zucchini, grated
1 cup chopped mushrooms

 






Oooops!

Directions

Preheat oven to 350*F



Caution: check the oven for objects before preheating! Our home is on the market and I've been known to stash stuff in there when there's no time to clean up and I have to leave. Unfortuantely I didn't discover this bowl and spoon until I went to put the food in to bake..ack! It was surprisingly easy to clean up...much easier than the lasagna my dear friend Cathy dumped in our oven one time!




 
Adding 1 cup oatmeal



In a small sauce pan combine first 7 ingredients (tomato paste through salt). Bring to a boil then let simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

In a separate bowl combine next 5 ingredients (turkey through mushrooms) & 1/2 cup of the tomato mixture. Mix well.












Adding 1 cup mushrooms




Adding veggies to turkey













Shape into loaves & place into an ungreased loaf pan. My loaf pans are packed away, so I just used tinfoil in a long glass pan.

Note: some parents will definitely let their kids combine the meat & veggies into a loaf, but I chose to do that part myself...I'm a bit squeamish about touching raw meat, so I haven't yet let Addi.

Bake 45 minutes.












Spreading tomato mixture over top

Discard drippings, then pour 1/2 of remaining tomato mixture over the top of the loaf.

Bake another 15 minutes.

















Waiting "patiently" to eat



Then place on serving platter, cool for 10 minutes, slice & serve with remaining tomato sauce.






 







 
 
Concentrating

Delicious!













Note: Addi couldn't wait to eat until her Dad came home, but she had another full serving with him!
You have read this article Cooking with the title Mostly Veggie Meatloaf. You can bookmark this page URL http://happychild2210.blogspot.com/2011/07/mostly-veggie-meatloaf.html. Thanks!

No comment for "Mostly Veggie Meatloaf"

Post a Comment