Squishy Bag - A tactile/multisensory approach to pre-writing and writing skills

The more multisensory you make an activity, the more likely they are to retain the information.  I made these in my classroom when I was a teacher, as many of my students had sensory processing difficulties.  I would use duct tape to affix all sides to thick (cut) pieces of white poster board so I could whip them out any time I wanted to use them.

This is a great activity for practicing pre-writing skills such as "down", "over", "around", etc., shapes, and even more advanced writing skills - like letters.   In addition, it offers a great therapeutic/calming effect for some children and can be a sensory activity just for the sake of sensory.

AK
MESE, MECD

 Things you need - Gallon size Ziploc bag, glitter (optional), food coloring, hair gel (dollar store)
 Squeeze in the hair gel (the entire bottle)
 Add food coloring
 Add glitter
 Mix it all together, put it on a piece of white paper, and start writing.  Here my son is doing the "down" stroke.
 Here he is "making train tracks"
 Letter C  (no, my two year old did NOT write that - we just worked on strokes, but I wanted everyone to see a letter)
 Circle (YES, my two year old did do this circle. )

It was awesome on the light panel - here is my son's hand print.  I also taped it down to stabilize it.

 My hand print on the light panel


 More light panel pics


 He told me, "I did over over over over."  (Talking about the stroke).  LOL



You have read this article Sensory Activities / Squishy Bags with the title Squishy Bag - A tactile/multisensory approach to pre-writing and writing skills. You can bookmark this page URL http://happychild2210.blogspot.com/2011/07/squishy-bag-tactilemultisensory.html. Thanks!

No comment for "Squishy Bag - A tactile/multisensory approach to pre-writing and writing skills"

Post a Comment