RSV Vaccine (Playing Scientist)

My oldest (3 years) has a book from Chick-fil-a about Louis Pasteur and the rabies vaccine. It is her new favorite book.  I swear we read it at least 5 times a day.  With the whole house being sick we have been talking a lot about germs, medicine, vaccines, etc.  I took my 3 month old in for a doc visit and she was positive for RSV.  When I got home my oldest had a million questions....  

"What happened?"  
"Is she sick?"
"Did she get a shot?"

I explained to her how there wasn't a vaccine for RSV yet.... that she just needs to take her medicine and get rest.  That led to a million other questions...

"Why isn't there a vaccine?"
"Is she going to get better?
"Does she have to go back to the doctor?"

I jokingly asked her if she could make a vaccine for RSV.  She said YES!  Of course she can.  :-)  

The next day I set up this invitation



Stir sticks, petri dishes, salt and pepper shakers, liquid watercolors, test tubes, a few clear containers and bottles, dropper, teaspoon, measuring spoon, and a little whisk.  

The test tubes are filled with: water, vinegar, soda, bubble solution, oil, and dish soap

The petri dishes are filled with: Dried up food coloring, broken up colored bath tablets, baking soda, and broken up alka seltzer tablets

The salt and pepper shakers have glow powder and baking soda

The petri dishes, test tubes, and rack can be seen on our AMAZON STORE

The stir sticks are from Walmart.

The dropper bottles are from www.specialitybottle.com 


Everything else is from the Dollar Tree


Invitation from above


Checking things out


"I need some of those... and a little bit of that"


"Look at all those colors!!"


Shaking the glow powder


My 24 month old loved this as well.  She's a big dumper, pourer, mixer.  


Shaking in some baking soda


My 24 Month old was very precise on what she used next.  


"Look!!!!  It's bubbling.  It must be working"  


"Can I feel it, Mommy?


"Nurse M, may I please have that?"


Hard at work  



Scooping


"It's finished!  Here is your medicine to make you feel better.  You just have to pretend, though."  


My 24 Month old continued to play with this after everything was one big mixed up mess.  

So much fun!  

RL  




You have read this article Playing with Light / Science with the title RSV Vaccine (Playing Scientist). You can bookmark this page URL http://happychild2210.blogspot.com/2012/03/rsv-vaccine-playing-scientist.html. Thanks!

No comment for "RSV Vaccine (Playing Scientist)"

Post a Comment