Sewing Board


THIS is what inspired me to create a sewing board.  She made a table, which I LOVE (and would totally make if I were still teaching), but I wasn't sure how my son would like it so I thought I would try using items we already had....

Things you need:

  • Large picture frame (I actually use the frame for our light panel cover that my husband built – seen HERE.)
  • Burlap
  • Plastic Yarn Needles
  • Yarn
  • Staple Gun
  • Scissors
  • Hook for hanging




Supplies

First I tied the yarn around the frame for hanging.  You don't have to do this first.  I ran it through the burlap once the burlap was on.

Place frame on burlap and cut out burlap, leaving enough extra material to wrap around the frame.

Use a staple gun to secure the burlap into place - stapling to the frame.  Not pretty, but oh well.

Hang it from ceiling.  I use these hangers because they wont damage the ceiling and they are surprisingly strong.




FUN!!



"Its like lots of tunnels, Mommy."



Spinning the board around was really fun, too.  LOL




Creating



He revisited this a few times.  Im excited about adding things like buttons, felt, etc.


I made a sewing board on a smaller box frame I had using my leftover burlap.  This is the invitation I have set up for tomorrow.  Sewing translucent pony beads on the light panel.


This is a fabulous activity to foster creativity, introduce a new skill (sewing), and develop fine motor skills.  I would say the invitation was well received.  He was tired and I think he might enjoy it more when he's not beat from a long morning in the pool.  I also think the swinging board got a little frustrating for him, but that could have been just because he was tired.  A table would be ideal....we'll see.  :)

DAY 2

 OK, I did it....I made a simple sewing table.  One of our readers (Meesh Crum) mentioned using a sensory table and that got my wheels spinning.  I simply used a staple gun to staple the burlap to the bottom of the table.  My son visited it several times (even my husband played with it - LOL).



Sewing table (with beads, pasta wheels, and cut up straws).  Clear container from Kohls.







- AK (MESE, MECD)
You have read this article Clay and Crafts / Do It Yourself / Playing with Light / Rainy Day Play with the title Sewing Board. You can bookmark this page URL http://happychild2210.blogspot.com/2012/06/sewing-board.html. Thanks!

No comment for "Sewing Board"

Post a Comment